Monday, March 17, 2008

Saint Patrick's Day !


McKibbins Irish Pub, located on Bishop Street, right next to Concordia University, was the place to go to in order to enjoy a real Irish pub on St Patrick's Day. There was a big parade yesterday in Montreal on St Catherine Street, with plenty of people gathering to see it. The longest-running Saint Patrick's Day parade in Canada occurs each year in Montreal. The parades have been held in continuity since 1824; however, St. Patrick's Day itself has been celebrated in Montreal as far back as 1759 by Irish soldiers in the Montreal Garrison following the British conquest of New France. The McKibbins Irish Pub is a historic and sandstone mansion built in 1904 by one of Canada's most brilliant surgeons, Dr. Frank Richardson England (1862-1942) and his wife, Grace Octavia Richie (1868-1948), the first woman to receive a degree in medicine in Quebec from McGill University in 1888. Today was packed of students, and I bet some of them were ditching school.

5 comments:

Ken said...

Thanks for the history lesson. I like the photos in your blog.

Jean-Charles said...

Thanks for your comment Ken, I'm glad to hear that you like my photos !

Jilly said...

What a great place. Love your photograph - the lights, the warmth and welcome of it all. Thanks for the commentary. I learned a lot.

Anonymous said...

Honey, this is a good pic. It looks like a painting!! :)

So now u've gotten my lesson.. kkk

Next time, I am expecting you will take a better pic. of me. ^^*

Anonymous said...

ca doit etre vraiment sympa cette fete