Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Lost


While I was coming back home tonight, I had to take Ste. Catherine street, because the only Rogers store that accepts payments (for my cellphone bill) is located on this street. ( It's annoying me that they don't accept it in the one near my place ). To explain this picture, a little flash back in history is needed. Since the little "revolution" in the 60's in Quebec, in 1974, French became the only official language of Quebec. This francization programs for businesses were largely successful in the 1980s, however, the 1990s saw the return of bilingualism. Today, most signs are written in both languages, but French has to be the first, and the English translation is written under. This leads to some surprising sings, like this one. It was inside a movie rental place next to the Rogers store. It is the name of the television series "Lost" translated into French as "Perdus". I find it funny because even in France, American movie titles are not translated. Unless it's too long and it won't make sense for the French population. By the way, I can't wait for the 4th season of "Lost" to come out.

No comments: